Although domestic assault is not specified as an offence in the Criminal Code of Canada, it remains as one of the most common crimes and is taken very seriously by the Canadian police, the courts, and the Crown Attorney. This is because a victim of domestic assault lives with the alleged abuser in most cases and is usually in increased danger of escalation once a report has been made. With this said, not everyone who has been accused of domestic assault is guilty of the crime. There are rare instances when the report made is fraudulent or was made with a malicious motive. If you find yourself accused of domestic assault in Canada, here is what you should do.
5 Must-Dos When Charged with Domestic Assault in Canada
- The first thing that you should do is to speak to a criminal defence attorney. A criminal lawyer is your best ally to help you make sure that your rights are protected and that you have proper legal representation.
- Be sure to hire a criminal defence lawyer as your second must-do. The longer you wait to hire a lawyer, the more mistakes you might unwittingly make and the more dire your situation will be.
- The third thing you should do is to comply with your bail conditions. Failure to do so will result in further criminal charges which can negatively impact your life for years. Your lawyer will explain your bail conditions to you to ensure that you won’t make a mistake.
- Fourth important thing you must do is to remember to only speak to your lawyer about your charges. No matter how close you are to your friends and family, remember that a single slip of important information can be used against you while the charge is on-going.
- Last but not the least, you have to write down your version of the events as soon as possible to make sure that the details remain as accurate as possible. The information in your write up will help your lawyer formulate the best defence for you and also help you give accurate statements when you are asked for your version of events.
Do you need a criminal defence lawyer in Toronto? Talk to Calvin Barry today! Calvin Barry has a solid track record of successfully defending charges of domestic abuse.